How to Enter
Register for the contest. Students in grades 6-8 must register for the Middle School contest and students in grades 9-12 must register for the High School contest.
- The Qualifying Round of the contest runs from January 14 to May 2, 2014. To enter:
- Form a team, consisting of either one or two members.
- Download and install the West Point Bridge Designer 2014 software.
- Use the West Point Bridge Designer 2014 to design a bridge. Save your design as a bridge design file.
- Register for the contest. Don’t forget your team name and password!
- Log in to your Team Home Page and upload your bridge design file for judging. You will receive immediate feedback about your current standing in the contest. For more information about how designs are judged, please see the Official Rules.
- Use the Designer 2014 to improve your design.
- Log in to this website and submit your improved design. You may submit as many designs as you like; however, only your team’s best design will be included in the contest standings.
- At the end of the Qualifying Round, the top 40 eligible teams will be invited to compete in the Semi-Final Round.
The Middle School and High School Semi-Final Round will both be conducted on May 30, 2014. The top 40 semi-finalist High School teams and the top 20 semi-finalist Middle School teams will participate at sites of their own choosing.
At the conclusions of the Semi-final Round, the top 5 High School teams and the top 3 Middle School teams will advance to the Final Round.
- The High School and Middle School Final Round will be conducted June 27-28, 2014, at West Point, NY. The contest will cover all reasonable costs associated with travel and lodging for the team members and for one parent or guardian per team.
- During the Final Round, each team will be provided with a new design project for the West Point Bridge Designer 2014. Each team will be required to develop and submit a new bridge design within a two-hour period.
- The top team at the conclusion of the Final Round will be declared the winner of the contest.
These dates are subject to change.